Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Rob Included in Short List of Actors for 'Akira'


EXCLUSIVE: The script for the Warner Bros/Legendary Pictures live action adaptation of anime artist Katsuhiro Otomo’s 6-volume graphic novel Akira has been sent to a short list of actors. The picture is finally taking shape for an August start, following the delivery of a rewrite by Steve Kloves that has director Albert Hughes and the studio brass excited. The story takes place in the rebuilt New Manhattan where a leader of a biker gang saves his friend from a medical experiment. There are two major roles, and I'm told that for Tetsuo, Robert Pattinson, Andrew Garfield and James McAvoy have been given the new script. For the role of Kaneda, the script has been given to Garrett Hedlund, Michael Fassbender, Chris Pine, Justin Timberlake and Joaquin Phoenix. The two leads are expected to come from that group of actors.

Andrew Lazar is producing with Appian Way’s Leonardo DiCaprio and Jennifer Davisson Killoran. Akira has been one of Warner Bros' high priority projects since the studio with Legendary Pictures acquired it for a 7-figure sum 2 years ago from manga publisher Kodansha. The intention has been to make 2 films, each covering 3 books in the series. Akira was first adapted for the screen in 1988.


Deadline | Via

Good article about Deadline's exclusive/more details about the project at The Playlist.

10 comments:

Iluvthemovies said...

As much as I want Rob to spread his wings, I don't think this is the way to go. I have already been on a couple of sites including The Playlist and already fanboys are rebelling, not so much about Rob, but that Asian actors are not being used. If I could advise Rob, I would say stay away from this hot potato. It would not be so different when it was learned that Rob would play Edward Cullen and fans sent a petition to Summit to dump Rob. However, this movie has issues with fans wanting the film industry to stick with the location of the story which would include Asians. This story is just as important to its fans of anime as the fans of Lord of the Rings, you can change some of the characters or storyline to fit into a movie, but don't mess with the story as a whole. Don't do it Rob, I have a bad feeling about this film.

Suus said...

@Iluvthemovies I am so agree with you. For sor far I know this is not my kind of movie and I think I prefer to see Rob in other surprising roles

Unknown said...

NOOOO! Please do not do this film Rob. Hollywood, don't even make a live action movie. The animated film is a cult classic.

JA said...

yeah, the last thing i want to do is attend a premiere filled with fanboys.

zenobia said...

my name is zenobia first time to comment it would be awesome I believe if robert decided to do the akira project. big fan of anime movies even more cool if he did videogame and cartoon voiceovers. I would not tell robert not to do it because people are going to say and think what they want only if he decided to and the big guys want him to do it.I SAY GO FOR IT ROB YOU WILL BE AWESOME.

Ash said...

I think Rob should do this. Its a really great role. And that Rob has been considered for it alongside other great actors is pretty awesome.

Way I see it, any big role Rob does people are going to have a huge problem with it. But sometimes you need to take a risk. Whether he does it or not, I'll still support him.

JA said...

just to add my 2 cents...i DO think he should do it. If he likes a script, I think he should say yes.

fanboys may not be happy...but if they shoot rob from the left side, he can even pull off asian. (that was a joke...but not really)

Iluvthemovies said...

I have no problem of Rob doing the role, except as Jaymie mentioned the animated version is already a cult classic. This should be performed by Asian or Japanese actors not white boys. Call me crazy but something this beloved by fans I feel IMO will not do well with an all white cast. Could you see Lord of the Rings with tall hobbits. Yes they used your average height adult and made them appear small but are you going to do CGI on the cast to appear Asian? I prefer Rob to do some sort of comedy to bring more men into his movies and doing Cosmopolis is also a good start. As I said we will all have differing opinions and I respect them all, I guees we will have to wait and see what happens in the coming months. ITA with zenobia about Rob doing voiceovers, he possesses a voice that can do magical things as well as many accents and dialects. That voice could melt majestic glaciers.

JA said...

@iluvthemovies, i know where you're coming from. but we know that the studios are only looking at the bottom line. they prob. aren't too focused on staying too accurate to the story details.

♪♫ Yaelfica ♪♫ said...

my bro is a huge fan of akira...he will be devastated! he hates ROB..hehe
so i think ROB should do it coz he needs to break free from edward cullen, don't get me wrong i love edward but enough already with "Robert Pattinson is best known for his portrayal of the vampire Edward Cullen in the Twilight saga"!!!

hope he goes for it!! yay!!